Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Digital DAB Radio

Debbie bought a Philips MP3 player back in July, we managed to get some tunes loaded a few weeks back and it sounds great. Not wanting to be left out, I wanted one too but I do tend to get bored of listening to the same tracks over and over so opted for a radio instead. I shelled out just under a hundred quid for a digital dab radio. It's a bit on the steep side for just a radio, given that you can get a personal FM radio from the pound shop, but then it's not just an ordinary radio.

flick00207

I'm really pleased with it, it's picks up all the stations I should be getting, only struggling in the living room because of the thick walls and we do have the same problem with the mobile phones, having to move to any other room in the house to make a phone call. The only down side I've found with this little radio is that while it comes with a pouch, there is no way to attach a clip or neck strap, both of which came with Debbie's Philips MP3 player. However, now it's colder and I'm wearing a coat all the time, it fits snugly into my pocket.

The best thing about dab radio isn't the sound quality, my untrained ears can't tell the difference, but the multitude of stations that are available, I love the ones that concentrate on a particular style of music, not that I'm a regular listener to Jazz FM! Nothing wrong with Jazz, it's just that my kind of music is rock, so The Arrow and Planet Rock are just up my street, playing classic rock anthems all day long.

I can still listen to local radio stations like Real Radio and Hallam FM if the mood takes me, then there is DNN, available 24 hours a day with the latest news updates or maybe One Word to listen to serials of classic books, not that I've got time to spend a whole half hour listening to the radio! There are nearly 40 stations available in our area and one I didn't expect to be listening to is BBC Radio 2, I've been tuning in every morning to that mad Irishman known as Terry Wogan, you just can't beat starting the day with a chuckle or two.

Paul

6 comments:

TAC-2 said...

imagine if they could make a mp3 player with at least 1 GB and with dab radio for a good price...now that would be great! ^_^

Anonymous said...

I often wonder what I'd do without 6 Music - although the only way to start the day is with himself, Wogan.

Jennifer said...

Sweet!

Freddy said...

Got a DAB radio last Xmas and I'm a headbanging Planet rocker myself!

Anonymous said...

Wogan is still on the air, eh? My goodness...he must be ancient by now!

M@ said...

I've heard the commercials on Virgin UK Online, and it sounds really cool.